Saturday, August 22, 2009

Green Chile Mania!

So I found out in the newspaper that a local Albertson's was going to be roasting fresh Hatch Green Chile here in Las Vegas today. Just before 11:00 am me, Cole and Chance headed over to grab a bag. When I pulled up there was a decently long line but I thought, okay, maybe an hour. Oh boy was I wrong. Four hours later I left with my 30 lb sack of freshly roasted green chile! And it was worth every second! Charlie came half way through with a buddy to pick up Cole (who had really been a perfect angel...thank goodness!) That left just me and Chance who took a nap on me pretty much the rest of the time. All in all it was actually kind of fun. They were BBQ'ing so I was able to buy a delicious tri-tip sandwich covered in green chile for lunch and they gave out free water, popcicles and other treats while we all waited in line. They had shade set up and chairs lined the wall so we all had somewhere to sit. I was lucky to sit next to a super nice lady that had previously lived in Las Cruces, NM so we chatted about all the places to eat and things we missed about Cruces. After I left with my 30 lbs in tow I headed up to my moms to pick her and the kids up and then met my sister at my house where we filled 70 ziplock bags full of green chile. Awe, I can see visions of breakfast burritos, green chile chicken casserole, green chile pinwheels and green chile cheeseburgers dancing through my mind...
Fresh roasted Hatch Green Chile


Chiles roasting in the rotisserie.

Yummy Chile Rellenos that I will challenge myself to make since I have so much green chile!

No comments: