Monday, July 6, 2009

Kadee Rings the Bell!

We have been debating on whether or not to keep Kadence in gymnastics. It seemed as though she was loosing interest and she was not progressing much at all. Then one night she came out with a ticket, allowing her to move up not one but two classes. Immediately I became extremely nervous. I never put her in to be competitive. I just wanted her to gain some extra coordination and learn a couple tricks. Well, we took her to her first Beginner Girls class and were pleasantly surprised. I have to humbly say, "She ROCKED". She was doing stuff I had never seen her do before. She had her pull-over and cartwheel better than any of the other girls and she climbed the rope without any help from her teacher. I was in serious disbelief, is this really my daughter who had seemed to be in the biggest rut?

Well, she has been in the new class for three weeks now and tonight was a very special night for her. Once the kids reach a certain level there are a few certain skills that the gym considers milestones, one of them being a pull-over. Her teacher has been telling us how close she is, she can do it no problem however, she still needs to perfect the technique, whatever that means. Apparently that happened tonight. Charlie had taken her and when they came home she walked in the door with a smile from ear to ear. She quickly told me that she got to ring the bell (notating that she reached her first gymnastics milestone). I asked for all of the details since I unfortunately missed it and this is how she explained it...

The coach put the bar up really high and told Kadee to do a couple of pull-overs which she did. The coach then smiled at her and said she had it and directed her over to a table across the gym. When she reached the table she asked the lady sitting there for the bell. The lady reached up to the top of a shelf and pulled down the bell which Kadence walked back over to the bars and gave to her coach. Her coach asked her if she was ready which she replied she was and the coach told her to ring the bell. Once Kadence did so every gymnast (and believe me there are a ton!) in the entire gym stopped what they were doing and turned to watch Kadence do her pull-over. Once she was done they all clapped and yelled for her!

Naturally we are very proud of her but even more so we are reassured that just when it seems like she is giving up she comes out and gives it her all and my how it pays off. Good job Kadeebug!

2 comments:

Carol Swift said...

Way to go Kadee! I can't even do a cartwheel!

The Wongs said...

Way to go Kadee!!!! That's so awesome - I loved loved loved gymnastics until I just got too tall for it :) -