I loaded the kids and backpacks into the car and began departing the babysitters neighborhood. I asked Kadence how school was and got the surprise of my life! "Well mom, not so good, I almost got sent to the Principal's office." As I lost my breath in that split second, I managed to utter the words, "come again?" She explained to me that she didn't have to go to the Principal's office, she almost had to go. Oh I am sorry, is there a difference. I immediately pulled over to the side of the road to get to the bottom of this. This had to be one of her imaginative stories and I was already coming up with reasons of why she should not make up stories like this because she would give her mom a heart attack!
On Sunday night she wrote a note to the teacher apologizing for her behavior. I too wrote a note to the teacher to make sure she knew we were aware of the situation and had addressed it with Kadence. Now that it is done and over with all I can think about is that I might have overreacted...a little. Oh well, at least I addressed it and stood firm in her punishment. I love that little girl to death, but God help her, she is doomed...if I act this way with her first bad behavior report, what in the world am I going to do when she does something really bad???
I asked her what happened and she explained that she threw a dice at one of the boys in her class after he threw one at her. Okay, that's not so bad...that's almost self defense right. I reached back into the backseat and dug through her backpack for any notes from the teacher. Sure enough I found her behavior report. Every Friday the teacher sends home a behavior report that has the days of the week and Kadence has gotten a smiley face every day of every week until this day! I looked at it and there was a BIG BLACK STRAIGHT LINE where a smiley face should go. I immediately started hyperventilating! I read the note that explained that Kadence had been a little talkative during class this week and extremely loud during centers on Friday. After a long talk on the side of the road I called her dad who had a long talk with her also. She lost her privileges for the weekend which included a much anticipated overnight stay at Grandma's.
On Sunday night she wrote a note to the teacher apologizing for her behavior. I too wrote a note to the teacher to make sure she knew we were aware of the situation and had addressed it with Kadence. Now that it is done and over with all I can think about is that I might have overreacted...a little. Oh well, at least I addressed it and stood firm in her punishment. I love that little girl to death, but God help her, she is doomed...if I act this way with her first bad behavior report, what in the world am I going to do when she does something really bad???

3 comments:
I love it!!!! Too funny. I think you did a marvelous job. I'm sure that will stick with her.
Oh my goodness... I don't know what's funnier, Kadence's calm approach of his bad behavior or your reaction. I love you guys!
OH girl - if you had my son you would absolutey lose your mind!!! :) Sounds like you handled it perfectly!!! I have been getting those notes since about 6 months of age! :)
Post a Comment