Sunday, February 21, 2010

Tanya's Visit

One of my good friend's, Tanya, came to visit this weekend. She called me and asked if I would be able to slip away from the kids on Friday night because she had tickets to Love at the Mirage. I don't ask often so Charlie did not hesitate to keep the kids that night. Tanya got these tickets from a friend of hers here in Las Vegas. I joked with her and said, "Wait a minute! You live in Albuquerque and I live here, yet you are the one with the hook-up here in Vegas, how does that work?" But you have to understand Tanya. She is a FANTASTIC networker! But what makes her so unique is that she doesn't just build contacts, she builds friendships. She has got the biggest heart in the world and once she takes you in as a friend she treats you like gold and occasionally she in turn gets treated like gold...as she should!

I left work on Friday night and headed over to the Mirage where I met Tanya, her good friend Kim and Tanya's mom at the California Pizza Kitchen for a very quick bite before the show. After some great food and even better conversation we headed over to the show. We were seated four rows from the stage, we had fantastic seats! The show was amazing. I didn't realize how much I liked the Beatles music until this show. Every time a new song would start I would think to myself, "wow I really like this song." My favorite part of the show was when they brought out some of the cast on a huge bed that floated above the stage. The actors on the floor below the bed started pulling sheets off of the bed and across the stage and then up until the audience was completely covered with the sheet. There were huge fans blowing the sheets up and the lighting effects on the sheets were amazing. For a minute I truly thought I was in some funky dream. The show was GREAT and I couldn't thank Tanya enough for treating me to such wonderful night. My brother and sister-in-law were also in town this weekend so I had to divvy up my time and wasn't able to meet up with Tanya again until Sunday night. Her and Kim were on a last minute souvenir shopping spree so I headed down to the strip to meet up with them. That is the night I discovered a very special place on the Las Vegas Blvd, Serendipity 3. I had walked by this building adorned in bright pink lighting a hundred times and always figured it was some kind of a bar or something. Boy was I wrong. This place is the cutest little restaurant. We sat out front for almost fifteen minutes reading over the expansive menu posted on the wall. I couldn't get over the dessert selections. Tanya mentioned one in particular that they are famous for, The Frozen Hot Chocolate. Tanya had seen these tasty treats on the Oprah show and said that Oprah and her audience absolutely loved them. We finally decided to go on in to try one but were met at the front by the hostess who informed us they had just closed :( Bummer! The good news was that Tanya was at least able to purchase the Frozen Hot Chocolate mix to take home with her (which she made for her kiddos the next day and said it really was fantastic!)
I can't wait to go back here. I really want to take the kids and enjoy a little of everything on the menu! I did a little research and found the original Serendipity 3 has been a fixture in Manhattan's Upper East Side for years. If I ever get back to New York I will definitely have to make sure to check this place out!

The Original Serendipity 3 in Manhattan.

Quaint decor in Manhattan's Serendipity 3.

No comments: